When natural disasters occur, the aftermath is often devastating. Not only will there often be structural damage to a home, but standing water will also be a big problem as well. No other restoration on a home can begin until water damage restoration is underway. Standing water poses significant health and safety risks to homeowners and families which makes removing water as quickly as possible vital.
Most people understand the risk of electrocution that comes with having standing water in the home but there are a few other uncommon risks you need to worry about.
- Bacteria- Standing floodwater is dangerous because it is often full of contaminants and bacteria. Sewage mixed with standing water creates even more risks when it comes to bacteria which can lead to illness or infection.
- Mold and Mildew- When flooding occurs mold growth is always a huge risk. Water damage restoration companies often provide mold mitigation services when they clean out water because mold and mildew is so common with standing water.
- Viruses and Parasites- Stagnant water is the perfect breeding ground for viruses that are carried by insects such as mosquitoes. Parasites such as giardia and entamoeba also exist in standing water and are commonly found in grey water and sewer water.
- Structural Damage- Water can cause severe damage to the structure of your home including causing wood and drywall to rot or swell. Carpets and flooring are often ruined by standing water and need to be completely replaced during water damage restoration.
- Pests- Insects such as mosquitoes breed in stagnant water and carry deadly diseases such as Zika, West Nile, and Malaria. Rodents are also attracted to areas of standing water and are a pest as well as a health risk.
Standing water is exceptionally destructive and hazardous for all the reasons above and more. These reasons make it vital that water damage restoration begins as soon as possible after a flood or accident. You need a professional team that can mitigate the damage safely, quickly, and efficiently.
ServiceMaster of Greater Pittsburgh is here to help with all of you water restoration needs. Call us today at 412-376-4645.